How to create good Black Friday emails
Let’s imagine you have already analyzed your stock and know what products you can give discounts for. You need to figure out how to tell about them in your emails to make them both beautiful and catchy.
Now picture this. You open your mailbox at the end of November and there are endless Black Friday deals on templates with black backgrounds (OK, there are tons of white, red, and gold also). What will you remember? Anything that’s different from the rest and holds some value. But to offer something valuable, you have to know your audience.
Analyze your audience
You know how important it is to build an email list. The importance of every email address increases dramatically in anticipation of the biggest sale of the year. By the way, we have a comprehensive guide on building email lists, be sure to check it out. And don’t forget to also clean up your lists, because it’s not quantity, but the quality that matters.
Then think about what you want to say to your audience. How can you surprise and attract them?
You don’t need to be a copywriting genius to write compelling copy. The most compelling and effective marketing copy comes from the audience, not the marketer. Here are some ways to get insights:
- Review mining — browse through customer reviews to look into people’s heads and get ideas of your products and features that you couldn’t come up with on your own.
- Qualitative surveys — gain detailed and descriptive information about opinions, beliefs, and values of a target audience.
- Interviews — find out your customers’ pain points, what solutions they’re looking for, and how you do compared to your competitors.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What did you do last year that really worked?
- What did your competitors do?
- Which items have been the most popular in the last few weeks?
- How can you segment your audience according to the findings?
Craft an attention-grabbing subject line
The task is to come up with a subject line that will definitely make the recipient read the message. This will help:
- Specify the discount
- Specify the categories of products with discounts
- Offer the maximum discount to the first customers
- Add information about additional free services or gifts
- Add keywords like “Sale”, “Now”, “Free” (don’t overdo it though and don’t look spammy to email services)
- Add a catchy phrase that resonates with your brand
- Add emojis
- Make it super short and intriguing.
What do the best Black Friday email subject lines look like? Here are some examples:
- 💥 20% OFF ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING💥
- A Better Black Friday Deal
- Black Friday Sale Live Now
- ⚫ BLACK FRIDAY JUST GOT BETTER.
- It’s here! Shop 30% off for Black Friday.
- A note about tomorrow…
- Why Wait? Fill Your 🛒 Now for Black Friday!
- Enjoy Black Friday Now
- Starts NOW: Exclusive VIP Stack Friday Offer 🌟
- Beat the Black Friday rush.
- VIP Black Friday Sneak Peek Inside!
- Free. Bundle. Gift.
- Flash Sale! Sweaters now $24.99
- SURPRISE‼️ Who says Black Friday has to be in November⁉️
Choose an appropriate template
We advise you to create a separate set of custom templates for Black Friday to make your campaigns look special on a special day. You might want to go with a different structure, design, or color scheme.
But you can always take ready-made templates prepared for you by email marketing services and platforms and use them as a starting point. The thing is, templates save time when you’re short on it. They are easy to edit and display beautifully across all email platforms and adapt to mobile devices. For example, you can try our free Black Friday templates right in your Unisender account and edit them in our email builder.
This is an example of our Black Friday templates: